For this next project. You will have A LOT of freedom with your creative process. You will be creating a digital collage using GIMP that will be printed on transfer paper and then transferred to a piece of canvas.
At this point you will be able to add drawings or paint to the canvas. You will each create a clay button and we will stitch this into a sketchbook.
This will be a lengthy project so DO NOT RUSH!
There are a few requirements that your final collage must include before it is printed.
- you must work with several layers.
- There must be a text element in your collage this could be large text or small text layered in the background to create a texture.
- you must have some transparency to your image.
- you must use your lasso tool to select what you are going to collage. Do not just stack your images together.
- you must use some original photos. You can find some of your images off of the internet but some photos must be original...either photos that you, or someone you know have taken. These can included pictures of friends or family.
- You must incorporate filter(s)
- You must use some sort of double exposure.
- Your Document must be 1536 x 1024 pixels (that is what we will need for print size)
Things to keep in mind:
* your text needs to be flipped (backwards) otherwise will appear backwards when the iron on is transferred
* Think about how the book will be assembled--make conscious artistic decisions such as composition, how will you handle your edges, keep your elements of art and principles of design in mind.
*try to visualize your book completed. This will help when you are planning the digital portion of the project.
*Remember, there are many ways to approach this project. As in any artwork, there are no wrong answers....your grade will be based on the above checklist, as well as your work ethic.
Below are some examples of digital collages that I found. Take a peek to get some ideas.
Your first step will be to gather your materials (images, text, quotes, what you want to include in your collage). I am almost finished with my example and will share it when I am done.
- Save everything to a folder on your desktop-or drive so that you do not lose track of them
When setting up your file in GIMP. Go to FILE-->NEW. Under Templates select the US LETTER (300ppi).
**this will give you a large enough image space to print a high resolution document.**